Earlier when mirroring a Zen Cart online store for a customer to work on some custom modifications for him I ran into an error when attempting to visit the site in a web browser. The issue relates to Rewrite rules in the .htaccess file which I was able to easily track down by viewing the Apache error logs for the site. Below is more information regarding the error located in the logs and how I was able to resolve the problem.
I always forget specific MySQL syntax including creating a MySQL user and granting that user specific access only via localhost to a specific database. So when I install Zen Cart I always end up looking how to do this via the MySQL documentation. Below are simple instructions on how to create a MySQL database using mysqladmin, create a MySQL user, and grant permission to the created database to the created MySQL user.
A client of mine contacted me earlier because he was unable to add products to his Zen Cart store. I recently installed a couple modules for him and was thinking that the issue may be related to one of the modules however this did not end up being the case. After some investigation I was able to resolve the problem easily by first deleting a product that had been added and then by issuing a SQL command to modify the auto increment numbers for the Zen Cart products table. Below there is more information on the error as well as details on how to resolve the issue.
A couple days ago I installed the Zen Cart Simple SEO URL add on for a client of mine. The SSU Zen Cart admin page was blank after following the instructions attempting to trigger the final installation steps by visiting a specific page in the Zen Cart admin. It appears I missed reading the “requirements” section of the installation instructions. Below is more information on the problem and how to easily resolve.
I was hired to install some ZenCart plugins recently one of which included the Simple SEO URL add on. The installation was fairly easy besides a dependency that was missing which I will describe in a future email. After the installation was complete I got excited when I was ready to test but was let down when I got a 500 Internal Server Error back from the Apache web server. The virtual host that the client was using didn’t have Error Logs enabled so I had to enable them and wait until they started archiving. Below is a description of the errors in the Apache Error Logs and how I resolved the issue.