A WordPress site I recently helped develop had an issue related to the header navigation. From a previous request certain pages had been excluded from the header navigation which can be completed in the Mandigo Theme Options section. In Mandigo you can simply check any page to exclude it from the header navigation. Typically if you want to simply add it back to the navigation you remove the check and the page will show in the header navigation in the order in which you have configured it to display using the Order Attribute. In this particular case when I attempted to remove the check and then click the Mandigo Update Options button it appeared to be successful but then the check would still exist in check box I had just removed it from. Below I describe the issue, how I realized what the conflict was, and how to resolve the problem.
One of my favorite plugins for WordPress is the Google Analyticator plugin that provides an easy way for you to interface your WordPress site with Google Analytics. There have been a couple times after upgrades that I wanted to verify that Google Analyticator was functioning properly and wasn’t exactly sure of the best method. After a couple emails back and forth with the developer he shared how he suggests to troubleshoot it and verify it is functioning properly. So thanks to Ronald Heft for providing not only the plugin but also for taking the time to share some extra information with me. Follow the directions below to verify the Google Analyticator plugin using the Firefox addon Firebug.
I have been using the Shashin WordPress plugin for awhile now to display my Google Picasa image galleries. This plugin basically generates pages on your site that embed the images from your Picasa image galleries. So far I have been really satisfied with the plugin and tried numerous other Picasa plugins before settling on this one. One thing I needed to change because of the layout of my site was the default size for the album thumbnails which is 160 pixels. Below I describe how to modify this size so you can display more albums in a smaller amount of space.
I recently launched my first word press web site and had a friend tell me that a important security precaution was to change the table prefix of your word press database. The default prefix for the tables is “wp_” which can make it extremely easy for a attacker to run sql injection commands through flaws the they may find in word press. If we can change the name of a table a attacker will have to figure out that information as well thereby adding one more layer of security to our site. I was getting ready to change all the wp_ prefix’s manually when I discovered a plug in called WP Security Scan which claimed to automate the process.
I have been using the WordPress Syntaxhighlighter Plus plugin to display code for quite awhile now. Today I wanted to check on recent updates and through reading on the developers site found out that the code is no longer maintained and he recommends people use the WordPress Syntaxhighlighter Evolved plugin instead. I decided to go ahead and download the Syntaxhighlighter Evolved plugin and test it on my development site. I was pleased immediately with the choice and knew that I would be moving it live as soon as I had any kinks worked out. There was only one thing holding me bac which was the fact that with the code wrap turned off the CSS for alternating colors and for the highlighting was cut off when you started to scroll to any code that spilled out past the default size. The plugin also blew out the right side of my site a bit so I needed to modify a couple CSS width parameters. I describe a workaround for the alternating colors being cut off below as well as how to set the width so it doesn’t blow out your layout.