Recently I was contracted to do some work for a new client that had around 25 CentOS Linux and Ubuntu Linux servers. The client needed various system administration tasks completed such as updating the servers, modifying a couple scripts that performed automated tasks, and a couple other basic tasks. I typically use vi to modify scripts or text files on Linux servers so when I started to perform my tasks I started getting annoyed as the vi default configuration included the line numbers which makes it a pain to copy/paste from the files you are editing. You can obviously turn off the line number display by typing “:” followed by “set nonu” (both without the quotes) however that does get old. Use the information below to change the default vi configuration so line numbers no longer display by default.
I recently started using the Vim editor again. It used to be my favorite because of all the great plugins. I have been getting lazy the past year and have been using nano but recently I had to work on a few systems which only had vim and I was not able to install another editor. I am am going to write a few article’s on my favorite plugins.
Tab complete is probably the best thing about linux and the shell so it only makes sense to be able to use it with vim. Adding this plugin makes it possible to tab complete while using the / to search in vim. Below I will show how to add plugins to vim.
My Linux distribution of choice is CentOS so that is where I typically spend time. Recently though I have been working for a project that runs on a Gentoo Linux server. So far I really like Gentoo though there are some things that I am used to that are totally different. One minor issues I have had is how vi/vim (vi IMproved) handles text that is pasted into it. Every time I was pasting data into a file I was editing with vi. Initially I thought it must have been some odd formatting coming from the file I was copying the text from however I ruled this out quickly when I pasted into notepad first to remove all formatting and then into vi and sure enough the spaces on the left still existed. Below I explain the issue, provide an image of a shell window showing the issue, and how to resolve the problem.