I have been having a problem with the media browser uploader for a couple days since I enabled FORCE_SSL_ADMIN in my wp-config.php file. I finally got some time tonight to look into the issue and I am embarrassed it took me so long to resolve. This was a classic example of trying to make something more complicated than it really was. The issue ended up being with a WordPress plugin I had installed called Flexible Uploader. This plugin provides all the functionality of the flash media uploader to the browser media uploader. It turns out that this plugin has not been updated in a long time and some of the URL building functions have changed in the newer versions of WordPress. Below I explain how to easily resolve the issue.