I take a lot of notes when I am either working on projects or researching so in Backtrack Linux I use KeepNote to accomplish this. KeepNote is a great little note application that provides notebook and tab functionality which pretty much covers what I need to do. One thing KeepNote doesn’t offer right out of the box is an easy way to backup notes from the command line so I took another backup shell script and converted it to backup KeepNote notes on Backtrack.
The other day I needed to create a RightScript shell script that would update a couple configuration files on a server that was being launched in the RackSpace Cloud via RightScale. I decided to use SED to find and replace content within the configuration files. The first pass at the script failed because what I thought were spaces ended up being tabs. Use the information below to represent a tab within a shell script when using sed.
I was working on a presentation this morning and as I was writing I realized I did not have a quick fast way to make a list of all the internal Ips on a LAN (Local Area network). Many of the tools I use including nmap, nessus and nexpose will accept a list of ips so I decided to whip up a quick dirty shell script to get the job done. I may clean it up in the future but for now it does its job. This is meant to work on Backtrack 4 but in its current state it will work on any Debian based distro. As always with any code found on the internet you use this at your own risk. Also I am sure this can be done better but like I said it was a 10 minute fix.
**UPDATE: New article here.
Its a little more complicated to create a read only database user with PostgreSQL than say using something like MySQL. You will need to grant select access on each table in the database for the read only user. Keep in mind that each time you add a new table you will need to either run the shell script below again or manually grant select access on the new table for the read only user.
I imported an old Blogger account into a WordPress blog recently and my titles did not import correctly. So there I was stuck with 500 posts with no titles. I decided the easiest way to fix that would be to copy the post dates from the Blogger account to the titles in WordPress. So here is a fairly quick and dirty way to import qd_db_posts.post_date to qd_db_posts.post_title.
This will all be completed from your OS shell which in this case was CentOS 5.2.