Technology Errors

dnsenum Returning Odd Characters After Installing Options Perl Modules On Backtrack 5

While working on an upcoming article for QD I ran into an issue with the dnsenum.pl Perl script. I followed the process of installing the optional Perl modules and when I went back to test dnsenum it would no longer return any IP addresses. Instead of dnsenum returning actual IP addresses it was returning odd characters. It turns out there is some form of conflict between dnsenum.pl and the Net::DNS Perl module. Below I describe the dnsenum issue in more detail and provide a work around by manually downgrading the Net::DNS Perl module by hand.