I recently upgraded crark on a CentOS Linux server from an earlier version to Crark version 3.3a. Initially it looked as if everything worked without problems and the speeds were improved slightly over the previous version of crark I had installed. After the initial testing though I noticed an issue when attempting to run crark from a directory besides the one I had unpacked all of the contents in and received some errors. Below is output showing the crark errors along with what was done to resolve the issue.
I have been using Hashcat and oclHashcat a lot in recent weeks but have been limited to primarily using it on Linux servers so I decided to give it a shot on a couple Windows machines. Below I describe how I got oclHashcat operational on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit on a desktop computer with a NVIDIA 9600GT GPU as well as operational on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit laptop with NVIDIA 9400G M GPU and a NVIDIA G210M GPU. Below is information on what needs to be done to get oclHashcat working on Windows 7.
Recently I have started using Hashcat-gui a lot more to test the strength of various passwords for certain clients. One of the things I wasn’t sure of at first was how to save charsets in the Bruteforce Settings window and while it would be nice if you could have a text file that included various charsets you could select from the drop down menu it is also easy to save your preferred charsets as Hashcat Jobs. Below is information on how to save charsets as Hashcat Jobs as well as recommended charsets you might want to save.
I am getting ready for a password contest at Defcon that Alex and I and a few other guys from the Hashcat team are going to enter and I decided to install John the Ripper on a Cent OS box in case I needed it for anything. John is in the yum repos however the version is pretty old and it is not compiled with NTLM support so I decided to build it from source so that i could apply the Jumbo patch which adds support for a whole lot of different algorithms which are normally only available in the pro version of John the Ripper.
Below I show the steps I took to get it compiled and working on Cent OS 64 bit:
Recently some pretty major advances have come around in the world of GPU based hash cracking. Up untill now there was not much for Linux which would utilize multi GPUs to crack password hashs. This has been changed with the release of Oclhashcat. The release of oclhashcat signifies a signifigant jump in the speed on linux based GPU systems. There is also a cpu based version called hashcat but for this article I will be reviewing oclhashcat