When attempting to install the Ruby JSON gem on Windows you are most likely going to get an error similar to the below. The trick is to instead install json_pure gem using the syntax listed below the error.
- C:\>gem install json
- Building native extensions. This could take a while...
- ERROR: Error installing json:
- ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
- C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install json
- creating Makefile
- 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
- Gem files will remain installed in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.1.3 for inspection.
- Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.1.3/ext/json/ext/parser/gem_make.out