I have been meaning for a long time to set some configuration parameters for specific file types including which applications open them by default. I deal with a lot of different file types and I am typically having to scroll through a long list of Mac applications to select the one that I want to open the file. Since its not easy to do this in one spot on Mac OSX Mountain Lion without adding a third party application I started looking around to see what was available and ended up with Default Apps by Rubicode. Below I describe installing Default Apps and how it works.
Earlier tonight I was working on a project for a customer that wants to translate the Hebrew Interlinear Bible into English which obviously has been done many times before. This customer however has some translations that he wants to make for himself so I needed to find a Hebrew Interlinear Bible in text or PDF format. I was able to locate the Hebrew Interlinear Bible in PDF format however there was a separate PDF for each chapter in each book which numbers something like 930 different PDF’s. I was able to use the wget command described in detail below to download all of the PDF’s with a single command on my Windows 7 computer.
I finally got an iPhone 4 and decided to create some custom ringtones to try out on it. The first one that I created, using the method we documented in this previous article, is the sound of a dial-up modem connection. After creating the ringtone by converting an MP3 file to an m4a and then renaming then m4a to m4r I attempted to sync the iPhone to iTunes to copy over the new custom ringtone however it was not available in the Ringtone Sounds configuration section on the iPhone 4. After troubleshooting I finally figured out a solution which is documented below.
A friend asked me to help him clean up his iTunes library on his iMac the other night so I asked him to bring it by. When he did I realized what had happened which is he had moved the location of his iTunes folder from his computer to an external drive. After moving the folder he imported all of his music again which caused iTunes to think his 8,000 MP3’s had become 16,000 MP3’s. Half of the tracks had red exclamation points by them because iTunes had information about them but could no longer locate the file since he had moved all of the music to a new folder in a different location. I found an easy solution to resolve this problem on a Mac which I describe in detail below.
I needed to add an embedded audio player into a WordPress site for a project I was working on so I started looking at various plugins. The most popular embedded audio player is a WordPress plugin called “Audio Player” which provides you with the ability to easily upload audio files to your WordPress admin site and have the audio files display and play in an embedded audio player on the front end of the WordPress site. Below I describe in more detail how to install the plugin and how to add audio files to your site after the plugin is installed.