I am fairly new to Markdown which is a lightweight markup language. I have really just started becoming more familiar with Markdown while posting or replying to articles in the Question Defense Engage section. Markdown is the markup language used on Engage to format the posted questions, posted responses, comments, and pretty much anywhere that content data is entered. So far I really like Markdown and have been impressed with how user friendly it becomes as you learn the Markdown tricks as I call them including asterisks or underscores for bolding or italicizing, brackets for links/URLs, and numbered lists simply using 1., 2., 3., etc. While the Markdown learning curve has been fairly steep for me the more I use it the more Markdown is sticking with me.
Ever since we started this site I have been struggling with posting code snippets into WordPress blog posts. First I was attempting to use the <pre> and <code> tags but they would blow out the side of my Mandingo theme with two columns. I would then try to go through the code and break the lines at the right places trying to do the formatting myself… no a brilliant idea. Justin whom also posts on this site suggested Markdown which works great. I even put some effort into learning it and don’t mind using it at all. I installed the Text Control plugin and replaced its markdown.php with Markdown Extras markdown.php file which worked like a charm. My problem was that I was still blowing out the side of my theme. After a fairly long search I found a plugin that I did not find on WordPress.org but directly on the developers site called QuickCode which you can locate here.
The entire error I recieved was: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tc_post() (previously declared in www/wp-content/plugins/text-control.php:20) in www/wp-content/plugins/text-control/text-control.php on line 33
When upgrading the WordPress plugin text-control I was getting this error when trying to activate text-control. I ended up remembering that the markdown.php had not worked on initial installation so I replaced it with the markdown.php from the WordPress plugin PHP Markdown Extra which resolved my initial issue.