As many people who follow this site may know I recently switched from Linux to Windows 7 as my daily operating system. This morning I saved a file as the default “save” in word instead of “save as” which is what I normally do. I then looked in my users My Documents directory and the file wasn’t there. At this point I was perplexed and a little annoyed so I ran a search for the file and found it in C:/Users/Public/My Documents which is not where I wanted it to go. I am not sure whether this was user error and I just somehow set up my system wrong or if this is the default Windows 7 behavior. Either way I decided to out line how I straightened it out.
I recently decided to do a fresh CentOS install on a web server with a minimal amount of sites on it because it seemed easier than attempting to upgrade everything. With a fresh install I figured I would be forced to get everything completed quicker. The server was upgraded from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.3 and from ISPConfig 2.X to ISPConfig 3.X. One of the virtual host configurations was for a Nagios server that monitors a fairly large list of servers running various services from basic server items like CPU, Load, Disk Space, etc. all the way to complex PostgreSQL statistics and other custom items. There are numerous Perl scripts to monitor PostgreSQL including check_pg_connections.pl, check_pg_lock_status.pl, check_pg_max_xid.pl, check_pg_queries.pl, check_pg_time.pl, and check_pg_waiting_queries.pl. The scripts use the DBD-Pg Perl module to make a connection (remote or local) to PostgreSQL servers.
You may run into issues installing the mysql gem on a Linux server running a 64-bit version of MySQL server. When attempting to install the gem its likely you will get errors if you don’t specify a couple options when running the command. The issue I continued to have was the options are clearly listed out and I felt, because of previous issues with 64-bit applications being installed, that I was using the proper options to move past the errors I was seeing. What I finally figured out was the fact that an extra “–” was required in front of the options.
Below I show the error in detail which will then be followed by the command to issue for a successful installation of the MySQL gem on CentOS (should work with any Linux server) running mysql-server.x86_64 or the 64 bit version of mysql-server instead of the 32 bit mysql-server or mysql-server.i386.
Most gems are very easy to install however they have typically been created for a Linux environment such as CentOS, RedHat, or OS X. This can cause all sorts of issues with libraries, compilers, etc. because less time has been spent making sure that these gems install on all versions of Windows because of all the differences. It is much easier to make sure that the gems install across all UNIX/Linux versions instead of the Windows versions.
When attempting to install eventmachine on a Windows server or regular PC you will run across an error. The error will spit out a bunch of data including install switches along with some other error information such as the below.