Technology Errors

.htaccess: Options not allowed here

Earlier when mirroring a Zen Cart online store for a customer to work on some custom modifications for him I ran into an error when attempting to visit the site in a web browser. The issue relates to Rewrite rules in the .htaccess file which I was able to easily track down by viewing the Apache error logs for the site. Below is more information regarding the error located in the logs and how I was able to resolve the problem.

Information Security

Disable PHP allow_url_fopen For Security Reasons

Recently I was doing a security audit on a Linux server and noticed some Apache and PHP items that needed to be modified to make the server more secure. One of the items that should be disabled is allow_url_fopen because the risk that it can be abused. The issue is that allow_url_fopen is on by default even though many times it is never used on a server. Modify the below line in the Linux servers php.ini file which typically located in the /etc directory.

Technology Errors

Invalid command ‘FastCGIExternalServer’, perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

I got the error below when attempting to configure a Django project to be served by FastCGI via Apache for the first time. I have configured FastCGI but it had been awhile and the server I was working with had ISPConfig installed on it and what I thought to be mod_fastcgi. Below I explain the error, my mix up, and how to resolve on a Linux server.

Technology Errors

ISPConfig: Getting 403 Forbidden Errors with Attempting to Login to Admin Pages

I have had a server running ISPConfig 2.x for quite some time and have been wanting to make the transition to ISPConfig 3.x as soon as I had a chance. That chance presented itself earlier this weekend and I am glad to say there were no major issues thanks to the amazing how to from Falco at HowToForge. After the installation and bringing numerous sites back online I had some outside the normal installation steps to complete. These steps included things like installing/configuring SNMP, installing/configure Nagios, etc.

All appeared well when I went to sleep meaning the servers seemed to all check out when was finished and ready to catch some sleep. Anyways when I logged on the following day to check all of the sites all was still functional besides a small DNS configuration error I had made with one sub domain which was not a big deal.