Earlier today while working with a friend at our offices we were playing around with a large NMAP scan of the anoNet network. His computer would not open the network topology in Zenmap because of a lack of RAM so we were looking at it on another laptop with much more RAM. After discussing it for a little bit we were curious how many hosts had been discovered on anoNet but initially I didn’t see an easy way to get this information. Use the information below for a quick count of hosts in Zenmap discovered via a NMAP scan.
For some reason today I could not scan an item on our Brother MFC-5890CN printer to my Windows 7 laptop today at the computer shop. It has been a couple weeks since I needed to scan something to my computer however it has never had a problem in the past. Today though when I attempted to scan a document using the Brother ControlCenter3 software it failed to connect to the Brother printer. The interesting thing is that when I attempted to configure the device remotely using the same Brother ControlCenter3 software it worked without an issue. I initially thought it was some form of firewall issue either on my computer or on the firewall at the computer shop however that was not the issue. Below I describe the error in more detail as well as how I resolved the problem.
I ran in to the weirdest error today. “sudo: unable to resolve host”. I got this error even running as root which was the really weird part. I was especially confused because I have been running Linux as my main OS for the better part of 10 years and have never run into this issue. Turns out the solution is very simple and almost elementary however I decided to make a quick post about it.
If you need to add a local DNS entry to your Windows Vista PC you will first need to know the location of the “hosts” file which is where you should add the local entries. It might be necessary to add local entries if you want to direct traffic from the Vista PC to a device on your local network by name instead of IP address.
Windows Vista hosts File Location: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
I was attempting to clone a github repo on a Slicehost account and received the error below. Its possible that github.com recently updated DNS so if this happens to you then you can use the temporary fix I located on github’s twitter account.
Error:fatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
This error was caused by attempting to clone edavis10’s redmine repo using the command below.
- git clone git://github.com/edavis10/redmine.git