In the Backtrack menu under Information Gathering > Network Analysis > SMB Analysis there is a menu item named smbclient which should actually be named smbclient.py. While the smbclient.py script does actually use smbclient it provides a different interface, commands, no switches, etc. making it fairly different than smbclient itself. While both smbclient and smbclient.py are supposed to provide the same end results they don’t because smbclient.py is extremely buggy so I will be writing an article on each so there is no confusion.
I was having a very slow morning at work and I started experimenting with sending tweets from the command line in Linux. I realize this is a little silly and there are plenty of good twitter apps out there but I found it amusing so I decided to post it.
Dmitry or Deepmagic Information Gathering Tool is an all in one host information tool included in Backtrack 4’s Information Gathering section. Personally I prefer doing most info gathering using tools built into Linux however it is nice to run a tool like this in the background and come back later if you are multi-tasking. Before getting into the details of Dmitry please see this article relating to a Segmentation Fault that can occur with Dmitry on Backtrack 4.
I recently had to do a install of VMWare server with 4 guest operating systems and once I got it all going I found that the arrow keys were not working. On some hosts they were mapped to control or shift and on the other hosts they just did not work. After a little searching I found a simple solution. Below I outline how to fix this small issue.
I have been messing around with Django over the past week and experimenting with various settings. I first ran Django using mod_ptyhon from Apache but the results were unimpressive. Apache served the Django project’s pages extremely slow using the Apache mod_python module. After some reading I decided to give the Apache mod_fastcgi module a try to see if the results were any better. I was definitely happier with the web page load time so I then decided to experiment with various FastCGI settings.