The below is part of the output when receiving an error attempting to install the Perl DBD::mysql module using the CPAN shell. I rarely use the Perl CPAN shell since most of the packages are available on CentOS, my typical Linux distribution choice for servers, using the yum package manager. In this case I was working on installing Monarch on a server at work to assist with Nagios file management. Monarch allows you to backup the entire Nagios configuration files with the click of a button. Monarch will also provide a visual view of any Nagios build errors, Nagios configuration files (including users, user groups, services, check commands, etc.,), and more. So when attempting to build the Perl DBD:mysql module via the CPAN shell I received some errors which I initially did not understand because they did not explain the specific issue however I eventually located the problem which ended up being easy to resolve. Below I describe the error in detail as well as information on how to resolve.
In the process of installing Monarch, which is a Nagios file manager, earlier I ran into a couple errors for modules I thought I had already installed. Then I realized the issue must be because during the process of installing modules Perl wanted to upgrade from 5.8 to 5.10 on CentOS. I went ahead and upgraded Perl however I left 5.8.8 intact since CentOS seems to rely on Perl 5.8.8 in many ways. Anyhow the full error I received is below as noted from the Apache error logs. You can easily resolve the below error by following the directions below.
I am working on getting Monarch installed on a server to manage Nagios file. Part of the setup includes installing a bunch of items using Perl’s CPAN. One of the packages I needed to install was called “XML::LibXML::Common” but it failed with an error. The error was overcome on CentOS by installing libxml2-devel using yum. Below are details regarding the error, the yum command to resolve the issue, and the end of a successful install of the initial package.
After modify some Perl modules with CPAN I started getting the below errors in the Apache error_log.
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:03 2009] [notice] child pid 4329 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:27 2009] [notice] child pid 4331 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:30 2009] [notice] child pid 5065 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:31 2009] [notice] child pid 4339 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:48 2009] [notice] child pid 10111 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Sun Jul 12 14:15:48 2009] [notice] child pid 4325 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
I recently decided to do a fresh CentOS install on a web server with a minimal amount of sites on it because it seemed easier than attempting to upgrade everything. With a fresh install I figured I would be forced to get everything completed quicker. The server was upgraded from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.3 and from ISPConfig 2.X to ISPConfig 3.X. One of the virtual host configurations was for a Nagios server that monitors a fairly large list of servers running various services from basic server items like CPU, Load, Disk Space, etc. all the way to complex PostgreSQL statistics and other custom items. There are numerous Perl scripts to monitor PostgreSQL including check_pg_connections.pl, check_pg_lock_status.pl, check_pg_max_xid.pl, check_pg_queries.pl, check_pg_time.pl, and check_pg_waiting_queries.pl. The scripts use the DBD-Pg Perl module to make a connection (remote or local) to PostgreSQL servers.