I use TextMate on Mac OSX Mountain Lion to write notes. One thing I find myself needing a bunch is to insert the current date and time so I can track specific events. For instance if I am writing an article for Question-Defense.com and I am doing the initial formatting in TextMate, which is a typical scenario for me, I might take ten screenshots and I like to note the current date/time in case I get pulled away from the article writing for something else. So having a keyboard shortcut that outputs the current date/time is really valuable so I don’t have to type it out by hand. Below I describe how to install a OSX Service that will provide various date/time outputs via Keyboard Shortcuts. The OSX Service called WordService also provides a bunch of extra awesome services which I briefly touch on below as well.
Recently I was moving files from one directory to another on a CentOS 5.4 server and ran into an issue. When attempting to move every single file in the directory I received an error which is noted below. It took me a couple minutes but I figured out by trial and error that the issue was related to files starting with a “-“(dash) because the mv command thought that I was attempting to use a switch. The resolution is easy using “./”. Look at the below examples for more information about the error and how it was resolved.
A friend of mine let me know about a vulnerability in Redmine today so I decided to upgrade to the latest stable release. Upgrading Redmine is easy but figured I would log the exact steps I took to upgrade from Redmine 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.8.7. The installation of Redmine I upgraded is running off of a MySQL database. Also the upgrade is easier since it was a minor version upgrade and didn’t require upgrading Rails, MySQL, or Ruby. The requirements for each Redmine version are located here in case you aren’t sure if you have the correct versions of Rails, Ruby, and MySQL installed.
There could be a couple issues causing WordPress to not send mail however in a server move the most likely is that the previous server was using Sendmail and the new server is using a different mail server like Postfix or vice versa. There also are a couple ways to resolve the issue and I will explain each method below however I recommend installing a WordPress Add-on to resolve the issue versus modifying a core WordPress file that could inadvertently be overwritten in the future.
The two ways which are described in detail to resolve this issue are to either install the WP-Mail-SMTP WordPress plugin or to modify the pluggable.php file located in the /wp-root/wp-includes directory. Each method will change the way that the $phpmailer function sends mail.