Today I was configuring a server running Postgres, Ruby, & Litespeed. It is a fairly easy setup that I run on numerous servers and it simply takes time to go through the motions to get everything up and running. There are a ton of steps so its highly likely that I miss one along the way. Today everything went smooth except for in one of the last steps where I start configuring virtual hosts in Litespeed I received an error. The error was stating that the path I was entering into the virtual host configuration did not exist. The error and the resolution are explained in detail below.
I needed to clean up a directory on a server that included numerous directories each with numerous files inside each directory. I decided to write a quick shell script that would archive with tar and then compress with bzip2. The shell script requires you pass in a variable which could technically just be “*” to include all directories in the directory you are running the script from. Below is the content of the script followed by an explanation of each line of the script that will archive and compress numerous directories by looping through each directory to create a .tar.bzip2 file.
**UPDATE: New article here.
Its a little more complicated to create a read only database user with PostgreSQL than say using something like MySQL. You will need to grant select access on each table in the database for the read only user. Keep in mind that each time you add a new table you will need to either run the shell script below again or manually grant select access on the new table for the read only user.
I have had a server running ISPConfig 2.x for quite some time and have been wanting to make the transition to ISPConfig 3.x as soon as I had a chance. That chance presented itself earlier this weekend and I am glad to say there were no major issues thanks to the amazing how to from Falco at HowToForge. After the installation and bringing numerous sites back online I had some outside the normal installation steps to complete. These steps included things like installing/configuring SNMP, installing/configure Nagios, etc.
All appeared well when I went to sleep meaning the servers seemed to all check out when was finished and ready to catch some sleep. Anyways when I logged on the following day to check all of the sites all was still functional besides a small DNS configuration error I had made with one sub domain which was not a big deal.
When attempting to upload files via the WordPress admin to your blog you might receive the below error. This error can be caused for a couple different reasons of which the main reason relates to permissions. Resolving the issue is a security risk but depending on how convenient you want it to be to upload files will depend on if you should use the WP admin or if you should just FTP the files to your blog site.
Error: WordPress File Upload Error: The uploaded file could not be moved to /wordpress/root/wp-content/uploads/2009/04
Below I list two different causes and resolutions for each one.