Technology Insights

Adding Redmine Project Error: ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (Mysql::Error: Unknown column projects_count in field list

I was working on a project today for a client and after the initial research I realized that the project actually warranted an entire sub project account in Redmine. The reasoning behind this was even though the project would be using the same Ruby project code as the primary project this specific side project would need to allow access to the tickets for one of our partners. The easiest way to allow the partners accounts access to only a specific set of tickets, their own wiki, etc. would be to generate a sub Redmine project underneath of the primary Redmine project. So obviously the first thing to do was to add the project so I could start configuring it and this is where I ran into the initial issue. I received an internal server error when attempting to add the sub project within Redmine. Below I describe the issue, what I think caused the issue, and the end resolution that allowed me to start adding sub projects within Redmine again.

Technology Insights

Upgrade A Redmine Project Management Installation That Uses MySQL

A friend of mine let me know about a vulnerability in Redmine today so I decided to upgrade to the latest stable release. Upgrading Redmine is easy but figured I would log the exact steps I took to upgrade from Redmine 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.8.7. The installation of Redmine I upgraded is running off of a MySQL database. Also the upgrade is easier since it was a minor version upgrade and didn’t require upgrading Rails, MySQL, or Ruby. The requirements for each Redmine version are located here in case you aren’t sure if you have the correct versions of Rails, Ruby, and MySQL installed.