Technology Insights

ActionView::TemplateError (comparison of Fixnum with nil failed) on line #38 of app/views/layouts/base.rhtml

The below error is another error related to upgrading Redmine. I imagine part of the reason I had a lot of errors is because I hadn’t upgraded this installation of Redmine, which we really just use for development, for a long time. In fact the upgrade took this installation of Redmine from 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.9.3. After I completed all of the steps in the Redmine upgrade I attempted to bring up the Redmine site in my Chrome browser but I received a 500 error from the LiteSpeed web server. The resolution was easy and is displayed below along with more details regarding the error.

Technology Insights

Adding Redmine Project Error: ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (Mysql::Error: Unknown column projects_count in field list

I was working on a project today for a client and after the initial research I realized that the project actually warranted an entire sub project account in Redmine. The reasoning behind this was even though the project would be using the same Ruby project code as the primary project this specific side project would need to allow access to the tickets for one of our partners. The easiest way to allow the partners accounts access to only a specific set of tickets, their own wiki, etc. would be to generate a sub Redmine project underneath of the primary Redmine project. So obviously the first thing to do was to add the project so I could start configuring it and this is where I ran into the initial issue. I received an internal server error when attempting to add the sub project within Redmine. Below I describe the issue, what I think caused the issue, and the end resolution that allowed me to start adding sub projects within Redmine again.

Technology Errors

Upgrade Redmine Rake Migrate Error: uninitialized constant ActionController::AbstractRequest

I ran into an issue earlier where adding a sub project to an already existing Redmine project produced an error and after a little bit of troubleshooting determined that upgrading Redmine would resolve the issue. During the upgrade process I ran into some other issues including a specific migration error using rake that is noted below. The upgrade process involved upgrading Redmine 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.9.3.

Technology Insights

Upgrade A Redmine Project Management Installation That Uses MySQL

A friend of mine let me know about a vulnerability in Redmine today so I decided to upgrade to the latest stable release. Upgrading Redmine is easy but figured I would log the exact steps I took to upgrade from Redmine 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.8.7. The installation of Redmine I upgraded is running off of a MySQL database. Also the upgrade is easier since it was a minor version upgrade and didn’t require upgrading Rails, MySQL, or Ruby. The requirements for each Redmine version are located here in case you aren’t sure if you have the correct versions of Rails, Ruby, and MySQL installed.