This is one of those things I just wanted to do because I thought it would be cool. I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM for no apparent reason, and could not get back to sleep. I started fiddling around with some work servers when the idea hit me that me and Alex needed a cool ssh banner for the tools server. This is probably the lamest article ever but I may want to do this again someday so I decided to document it.
I was doing a dual boot install today for a customer who wanted to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu linux. I installed the Unbuntu operating system fine but when I went to update the distro some thing was clearly wrong. Each time I tried to use the GUI package manager it would stall and lock up. This prompted me to try with the command line package manager apt-get since the GUI is just a front end for it. Normally command line tools give better error messages so I was hoping for some more detail. Below I show the error and the very simple fix.
I had a virus on a machine in the shop today which is very similar to a few previous virus’s we wrote about called personal security and XP Antispyware. The removal process is pretty similar but I decided to write a new post detailing its removal. This virus gives a fake “windows” security alert and then suggests you run or download a product called Antivirus Soft. Of course the program is fake and they will steal your bank credentials and do all sorts of other nasty things to you if you decide to buy it. The interesting thing about this program is its always called some thing different so its a little tough to track down. Below I will outline what my particular virus was called and how I got rid of it , however chances are yours may be named something else so you may have to do a little trial and error with the task manager to figure it out.
I recently moved a WordPress site from one location on a server to another location on the same server for a client. Everything seemed to work fine after following the directions in this article I had previously published. That article was specifically published for changing the domain that points to the WordPress site which could include simply changing the domain only or actually moving the site to a new server or new location on the same server and a new domain. If you are performing the second of those two options you may also need to update the “upload_path” depending on the configuration of the new server and if the paths are the same as they were on the initial server the WordPress site was installed on.
I recently upgraded the Project Management Software, which happened to be Redmine, for a company and after the upgrade I received some complaints regarding SVN not functioning properly. I initially thought there is no way that the upgrade caused an issue with SVN since SVN and Redmine are completely separate however you can browse the SVN repositories from within Redmine. Below I describe the error in more detail including an image of the error from TortoiseSVN, what I did to resolve the issue, and another possible resolution if your issue is different than the one mentioned in this article.