I have been working on setting up some new CentOS Linux servers for a company I work for and one of the things I need to do is build a more current version of Ruby than what is available in the YUM repositories. To do this I am going to download an updated version of the Ruby Source RPM built for Fedora and then build the RPM’s from that. One of the commands required to build RPM’s is rpmbuild which is provided by the rpm-build RPM package as shown below.
Yesterday when extracting a ZIP file created with WinRAR I received dozens of errors during the process. The file I was extracting was generated from the entire Documents and Settings folder on a Windows XP computer and I was extracting it to the Desktop of another user on another computer. The issue is the fact that the path and/or filename exceeded the 260 characters which is set by WinRAR. Below I show some output from the errors received as well as two tips that should help resolve the problem.
Last night I was running some tools on a Windows 7 laptop and needed to list the drives. I am not very familiar with MS-DOS so I had to play around to find the information I was looking for. Luckily listing the drives and then querying drive information is easy to do from DOS in Windows 7. Follow the directions below to list the Windows 7 drives from DOS.
I received a comment on one of the QD posts earlier today that noted the Facebook link-share button posted an incorrect link on Facebook. These social media buttons exist on the bottom of each article on the Question Defense site. Initially when looking into the issue I was confused because he actual URL that was posted was correct meaning it posted the proper Pretty Link via the WordPress Pretty Link plugin however when I tested the actual link I was redirected to the proper domain but the page display was blank. Below is information on the troubleshooting process I used, what the problem ended up being, and how the problem was resolved.
This afternoon I was working on calculating dial-up costs for a specific company who uses dial-up connections for thousands of devices at customer premises. One of the dial-up providers is Earthlink who doesn’t provide an easy method to export dial-up connection details to XLS or even to text so I had to copy/paste the dial-up specifics to a file and run calculations on that file. One of the problems with doing this when copying and pasting to a text file every other line was blank so I decided to try to use Notepad++ to get rid of every other line. Below are instructions on how to do this with Notepad++.