A colleague at work today had some questions regarding Google Calendar that I attempted to assist him with. In the process I ran into some things that didn’t make a lot of sense to me so I wanted to point out some of the issues I found with importing Calendar Events into Google Calendar. Below I will explain the error I received and how I worked around the error and was able to successfully import the items I had been having an issue with.
A small business I with has a Lacie 2Big Network NAS device which they use as a place for users personal folders and a company wide share. The Lacie 2Big Network has a lot of features for a little device that I initially though was basically nothing more than an external hard drive. This is not the case though and the Lacie 2Big Network functions as a feature full Network Access Server for small businesses. The software on the device though had been causing lots of problems including not allowing me to configure new users on existing shares, slow file transfers, and automatically logging me out from the web admin interface. The main issue though was the device was basically stuck in its current configuration since I could not add new users to shares. Below I describe the software that was on the device followed by a software update that resolved all of the issues.
If you use Google Calendar as your primary calendar for work the chances are that from time to time you receive calendar items from people using Microsoft Outlook. These calendar items which are sent as .ICS files are easy to import into Google so you don’t have to manually type the entry into your Google Calendar. Follow the directions below to import Outlook calendar items into Google Calendar.
**NOTE: If you are using Thunderbird to copy/paste iCalendar items into ICS files and then import into Google Calendar you will more than likely receive an import error. Please read this article for a resolution to that issue. The error will say “Failed to import events. Could not upload your events because you do not have sufficient access on the target calendar.” This may be a problem with other mail clients as well but I have only confirmed it to be so with Thunderbird.
I recently purchased a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit which is the first 64-Bit computer I have ever had as my main computer. I have done some work in the past on computers using 64-Bit operating systems but now that I have one there are a lot of questions coming up regarding how applications launch and specifically what mode they are running in. On Windows 7 64-Bit there are two different “Program Files” directories which allow 64-Bit applications to run as well as 32-Bit applications to run. Below I explain how to verify if a Windows service is running in 32-Bit (x86) mode or 64-Bit (x86_64) mode.
My Linux distribution of choice is CentOS so that is where I typically spend time. Recently though I have been working for a project that runs on a Gentoo Linux server. So far I really like Gentoo though there are some things that I am used to that are totally different. One minor issues I have had is how vi/vim (vi IMproved) handles text that is pasted into it. Every time I was pasting data into a file I was editing with vi. Initially I thought it must have been some odd formatting coming from the file I was copying the text from however I ruled this out quickly when I pasted into notepad first to remove all formatting and then into vi and sure enough the spaces on the left still existed. Below I explain the issue, provide an image of a shell window showing the issue, and how to resolve the problem.