Earlier today I needed to find the quickest and easiest way to monitor all traffic to and from a specific device on my network. The goal was to see how much bandwidth based on a specific amount of time that the device was using. My initial hope was that I could configure port monitoring on my WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware however I quickly found out this is not an option. I eventually settled on adding a couple iptables commands that would send all traffic destined for or sourced from a specific IP address to another IP address. Follow the directions below to add the iptables commands to a router running DD-WRT firmware and then to capture the traffic on a computer running Wireshark.
I have had the same USB to serial adapter working on Windows XP for quite awhile. After I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 7 64-Bit I needed to reinstall my USB to Serial Converter. I had a couple issues the first being the fact that the Dell Studio XPS laptop has a slot load CD/DVD drive and the drivers were on a mini CD. So the first thing I tried was to zip up the drivers CD that initially came with the USB to Serial Converter and get the zip file over to the new laptop. After doing this and attempting to install the drivers I was still receiving an error. I imagine either the drivers were not working with Windows 7 or there were no 64-bit drivers. Below I explain the USB error that was displaying, provide access to the correct drivers, and provide steps to install the drivers.
A WordPress site I recently helped develop had an issue related to the header navigation. From a previous request certain pages had been excluded from the header navigation which can be completed in the Mandigo Theme Options section. In Mandigo you can simply check any page to exclude it from the header navigation. Typically if you want to simply add it back to the navigation you remove the check and the page will show in the header navigation in the order in which you have configured it to display using the Order Attribute. In this particular case when I attempted to remove the check and then click the Mandigo Update Options button it appeared to be successful but then the check would still exist in check box I had just removed it from. Below I describe the issue, how I realized what the conflict was, and how to resolve the problem.
CriticalMailer ::Exception:: FATAL C53300 Msorry, too many clients already Fproc.c L276 RInitProcess
I was tasked with troubleshooting a Ruby Rufus Task Scheduler issue today so I started with reviewing the log files. Upon digging into the logs I noticed numerous errors which are expanded below. The primary error appeared to be a connection issue from Ruby to PostgreSQL as it was complaining about too many connections. While the server I was looking into is actively used in a development environment the connections limit of 100 should have been more than enough to handle the load. After looking into the issue more I found out that some large Postgres queries from within the Ruby code were causing the issue and once those were optimized things started working properly. Below I describe the errors noticed via the Ruby logs, steps taken to troubleshoot the errors, and final resolution.
When I booted my Windows 7 laptop this morning to start working on a project everything seemed normal at first. Then I attempted to start Microsoft Outlook 2007 to view any new email and I received an error. At first I assumed that the error was a fluke and if I simply rebooted everything would work properly but this was not the case. I tried numerous different attempts to resolve the issue without success and then one of the easier resolutions I tried worked. After the fix I was using Outlook again in seconds to read and reply to email. Below I describe the error in detail, failed attempts to resolve the Microsoft Outlook 2007 issue, and then finally the command I used to resolve the issue. Before you begin I suggest reading the entire article and attempting fixes in order based on time to complete which will vary based on your computer. All of the below steps were completed on a Windows 7 laptop though the steps should be very similar for any version of Windows running Microsoft Outlook 2007.