Recently received a 1U IPSU NetGate ALIX Single to perform some testing with pfSense on this type of platform. I was looking for a way to track the device and hoping to use DMI information so needed to first install dmidecode. Anyhow ran into a couple issues which are noted below along with resolutions for those issues.
Error Installing dmidecode On pfSense:
The first issue was the fact that the pfSense loaded on the device was based on FreeBSD 8.1 LATEST and the automatic repo links were not working. To get around that I downloaded the package manually here. Then I simply scp’d the package over to the pfSense device. Once I had the package I attempted to install as shown in the below example output below.
Error Installing dmidecode On pfSense: Could Not Unlink
- [2.0.1-RELEASE][root@pfSense.localdomain]/home(33): pkg_add -i /tmp/dmidecode.tbz
- sbin/dmidecode: Could not unlink
- sbin/biosdecode: Could not unlink
- sbin/ownership: Could not unlink
- sbin/vpddecode: Could not unlink
- man/man8/dmidecode.8.gz: Could not unlink
- man/man8/biosdecode.8.gz: Could not unlink
- man/man8/ownership.8.gz: Could not unlink
- man/man8/vpddecode.8.gz: Could not unlink
- share/doc/dmidecode/AUTHORS: Failed to create dir 'share/doc/dmidecode'Can't create 'share/doc/dmidecode/AUTHORS'
- share/doc/dmidecode/CHANGELOG: Failed to create dir 'share/doc/dmidecode'Can't create 'share/doc/dmidecode/CHANGELOG'
- share/doc/dmidecode/README: Failed to create dir 'share/doc/dmidecode'Can't create 'share/doc/dmidecode/README'
- tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
- pkg_add: leave_playpen: can't chdir back to ''
As you can see above there are a bunch of errors which relate to the fact that the file system is mounted in read-only mode as a security measure. To get around this you simply mount the file system in read-write mode, install the package, and then remount the file system in read-only mode. The way to accomplish this on pfSense is noted below.
Mount pfSense Root File System In Read-Write Mode To Install Packages:
- [2.0.1-RELEASE][root@pfSense.localdomain]/sbin(42): /etc/rc.conf_mount_rw
- [2.0.1-RELEASE][root@pfSense.localdomain]/sbin(43): pkg_add -r ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/dmidecode.tbz
- Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/dmidecode.tbz... Done.
- [2.0.1-RELEASE][root@pfSense.localdomain]/sbin(44): /etc/rc.conf_mount_ro
There you have it! The dmidecode package is now installed on your pfSense device. Please make sure to remount the file system in read-only mode.
Also if anyone has any good advice on data I could use to track 1U IPSU NetGate ALIX Single devices please let me know. I know I can use Ethernet MAC, etc. but looking for another unique identifier that is tied to the mobo or similar.