Recently I started using a USB flash drive to store my Xbox 360 gamer profile on and realized it would be nice to name it properly so if I have decide to have more than one USB flash drive in use with my Xbox 360 they won’t both be named the default of Memory Unit. Follow the directions below to rename a USB drive that is being used with your Xbox 360.
Rename Xbox 360 Memory Unit:
When you format a USB flash drive to use with your Xbox 360 the default name is Memory Unit however you can easily modify the name of the device using the below instructions. Attach the USB drive that you want to rename to the Xbox 360 console.
- Xbox Settings Menu: Navigate the Xbox 360 home screen to System as shown in the below example image.
- Xbox System Settings Screen: Click the A button on System to display the Xbox 360 System Settings screen as shown in the below example image.
- Xbox Storage Devices: Scroll down to Storage Devices from the System Settings menu displayed above and click the A button to open the Xbox 360 Storage Devices list as shown in the below example image.
- Xbox Device Options Screen: Scroll down to the USB flash drive which is likely named Memory Unit in the Storage Devices list and click the A button to open the Device Options screen as shown in the below example image.
Notice on the Device Options screen there are four options to select from including Rename, Remove Xbox 360 Storage, Clear System Cache, and Transfer Content.
- Rename Xbox Memory Unit: Click A to select the first option Rename which should already be highlighted. This will open the Rename Storage Device screen as shown in the below example image.
Erase the current name which is Memory Unit by using the X button on the Xbox 360 Controller. Type in whatever name you prefer as shown in the below example image.
Once you have entered the new name for the USB drive click the play/start button on your Xbox 360 controller to save the new name.
- Confirm New USB Drive Name: You will automatically be taken back to the list of Xbox 360 Storage Devices and the new name for your USB drive should now be displaying as shown in the example image below.
You can also rename any hard drives that you have attached to the device which will allow you to easily recognize the different uses for each storage device you use with your Microsoft Xbox 360 console.