I typically use Zen Cart however a client of mine requires Magento e-commerce software for a project I am working on for them. I will likely be writing a lot of articles regarding Magento in the future since it is a fairly complex piece of e-commerce software since I am new to this e-commerce software. The first article is about disabling other languages which in my case will include disabling the Magento French and German stores however the same concept would apply if you want to disable the English site and either the German or French site. Follow the directions below to remove the language drop down and only use one of the three initially installed Magento stores.
The language drop down I am referencing is seen in the example image below. In the image I have already disabled the German Magento store and the English and French Magento stores are still active. In the template I am using the language drop down was located in the top right corner but it may be in a different location on your Magento template.
Magento Store Language Selection Drop Down:
Disable French & German Magento E-Commerce Stores To Use English Only:
- Login To Magento Admin: First visit the admin URL for the Magento store you are working on and login with your credentials which will take you to the Magento admin dashboard as shown in the below example image.
- Magento Admin System Configuration: Now click System in the top navigation menu and select Configuration which is the last option as shown in the below example image.
Once clicked the Magento admin configuration screen will display as shown in the below example image.
- Magento Manage Stores: Click the orange Manage Stores link located in the top right corner of the example image displayed above. Once you have clicked Manage Stores the below admin screen will display.
- Magento Language Specific Setting: Click on the Magento store language you want to disable which in this example will be the German store which will open the German store settings as shown in the below example image.
- Disable Magento German Store: Now click the drop down next to Status which will provide two options in the drop down including Enabled and Disabled as shown in the below example image.
Select Disabled from the drop down and then click the Save Store View button located in the top right corner to disable the German Magento store.
- Disable French Magento Store: Now repeat steps four and five to disable the French store. Once you have saved the French Magento store the language drop down will no longer display on the frontend of the Magento store.
You can enable the other Magento store language versions at a later date since they have only been disabled and not deleted.