One of the requirements for initial configuration of the F5 BIG-IP LTM VE is to enter a license key. In this example we are configuring a BIG-IP LTM VE VMware image 90 day trial for testing. The way to accomplish this task is first login to the console using these instructions, next login to the BIG-IP LTM VE GUI using these instructions, and then follow the steps below which will walk you through activating the F5 BIG-IP LTM VE trial using the license key that was emailed to you by F5.
Obtaining The BIG-IP LTM VE Trial License:
If you haven’t already done so you should generate a license key for the F5 BIG-IP LTM VE VMware image by visiting this link. Click the Generate Registration Key button located at the bottom of the page and a license key that is good for 90 days will be emailed to you.
Activate F5 BIG-IP LTM VE Trial License:
- Login To LTM GUI: If you used the instructions noted in the first paragraph then you are likely already logged in to the LTM GUI Configuration Utility however if not type https:// followed by the IP address of the BIG-IP LTM VE instance into a web browser and login.
Note the default username is admin and the default password is admin.
- Begin BIG-IP Setup Utility: Once logged in you will see the setup utility screen displayed in the below example image. Click the Next button on the Setup Utility screen to begin the BIG-IP setup process.
- BIG-IP Setup Utility License: After clicking the Next button above you will be taken to the Setup Utility License screen as shown in the below example image. Likely this is your first configuration of the BIG-IP LTM VE instance so the license will display “Not Activated” as shown below.
- Begin BIG-IP License Activation: Click the Activate button located below the BIG-IP license status to continue to the BIG-IP Setup Utility page where the license can be entered as shown below.
- Activate BIG-IP License: Now enter the trial Base Registration Key that was emailed to you from F5 and will be active for 90 days from the time you activate it.
Once you have pasted the Base Registration Key from the F5 email into the correct field click the Next button below to continue to the F5 EULA pictured below.
Click the Accept button to have the trial license verified. After clicking Accept you will be updated as to the progress of the license verification process as shown in the below example image.
After a short amount of time the license will be verified and the configuration changes complete at which time a screen similar to the below will display.
- Verify BIG-IP License Active: Click the Continue button once the configuration changes have completed which will direct you to the BIG-IP LTM GUI Configuration Utility home screen as shown in the below image.
You should no longer have a light yellow line across the top of the screen stating “No License”. You can also verify the license has been accepted by logging into the BIG-IP LTM VE console to make sure that “NO LICENSE” has been replaced with “Active” as shown in the below example image.
Your trial license is now active so you have 90 days from today to use the F5 BIG-IP LTM VE.