I always keep remote desktop enabled at home. The reason for this is that any time my wife is having a pc issue, instead of trying to talk her through it on the phone, I just remote in and fix it. I Recently tried to do this, and to my dismay I found that my internet provider has blocked port 3389. Here is a quick post on how to change the default port in windows.
Modify Windows 7 Default Remote Desktop Port:
- Registry Editor: Start Registry Editor.
- Modify Registry Key: Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- Modify Registry Entry: On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
- Enter Port Number: Type the new port number, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor: Quit Registry Editor.
- Reboot Computer: Restart the computer.
The default Windows 7 Remote Desktop port will now be modified to whatever it was set to.