While working on the computer shop network I had to modify the configuration on our switch which is a Cisco Catalyst 2950. After making a bunch of changes I was testing things to make sure all was working as expected however after taking a break and logging back into the 2950 it appeared that all of the changes made had been reverted. I was assuming the Catalyst 2950 had lost power briefly which means all of the changes were lost since they had not been saved to the startup config yet. To verify my assumption I needed to look at the amount of time the switch had been up however “uptime” is not a valid iOS command. Below is information on the command used to verify uptime on a Cisco Catalyst 2950.
Verify Uptime On A Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch:
One of the bits of information provided by the “show hardware” command is uptime. The version of iOS that was running on the switch at the time was Cisco iOS Version 12.1(19)EA1a.
- 2900XL#sh hard
- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
- IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
- Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
- Compiled Tue 09-Dec-03 00:12 by yenanh
- Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x8058A000
- ROM: Bootstrap program is C2950 boot loader
- 2900XL uptime is 4 hours, 5 minutes
- System returned to ROM by power-on
- System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1a.bin"
- cisco WS-C2950T-24 (RC32300) processor (revision C0) with 20809K bytes of memory.
- Processor board ID FHK0612Y090
- Last reset from system-reset
- Running Enhanced Image
- 24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
- 2 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
- 32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
- Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:09:43:EE:EE:EE
- Motherboard assembly number: 73-6114-06
- Power supply part number: 34-0965-01
- Motherboard serial number: FOC00000ENP
- Power supply serial number: DAB000000Y1
- Model revision number: C0
- Motherboard revision number: A0
- Model number: WS-C2950T-24
- System serial number: FHK0000Y090
- Configuration register is 0xF
As seen in the above example the sh hard (show hardware) command will display a bunch of information beyond the uptime we were looking for including Cisco iOS version, date the iOS was compiled, ROM information, flash and/or system image information, various serial numbers (motherboard, power supply, system), MAC address, and more. Since you probably only need the uptime information look nine or ten lines down for one of the output lines that starts with the hostname configured on the Catalyst switch and followed by uptime and the amount of time the switch has been running.