This is something that came up earlier today with a friend of mine and decided it might help someone else in the future so I should note it. The sound I am talking about disabling is the default ding on Windows that occurs for many reasons but specifically if you are SSH’d into a server using console or a client such as SecureCRT and you hit tab twice in a directory to list all of the files you will hear a “ding” sound. This can be quite annoying depending on how often you use tab or if you work in the same office area as someone else. Below is information on how to disable the default ding in Windows 7.
Disable Windows 7 Ding Sound When Using Tab To List Files In A Directory:
Again this came about because of being SSH’d into a server and using tab twice to list the files in a directory. Each time you do this a “ding” sound will play on your computer.
- Windows 7 Control Panel: Open the Windows Control Panel as shown in the example image below by clicking the Windows Start Menu icon and then clicking on Control Panel from the pop up menu.
- Windows 7 Sound: From the Windows 7 Control Panel window click on Sound to open the Sound configuration window displayed in the example image below.
- Windows 7 Sounds: Once the Sound configuration window is open you need to click on the Sounds tab to display all Windows 7 sounds as shown below.
- Modify Default Ding: Now scroll down the list of sounds and highlight the “Default Beep” as shown below. The Windows 7 Default Beep plays the sound file “Windows Ding.wav”.
Once highlighted click the drop down below the list of sounds and scroll to the top of the list to select “(none)” as shown in the below example image.
After you have selected none for the sound click the Apply button to save the new sound settings.
- Test Windows 7 Default Beep: Now test to make sure the sound you were hearing is gone. In the example that caused me to look into this sound issue I was able to open SecureCRT, SSH to a server, and hit tab twice to list the files in a directory without hearing the sound anymore.
No more annoying Windows Ding when using the tab key during SSH sessions! Also no more annoying ding sound period. :)