I have a client with a Cisco 2811 with primarily Cisco 7960 phones configured off of it. Recently hey switched their telecommunications provider but didn’t get a POTS line for the fax machine. I am going to try to configure a PAP2T-NA to convert from SIP to POTS for the fax machine to see if it works but first wanted to make sure he PAP2T-NA had the latest and greatest firmware on it. Upgrading the firmware is really easy with an application that is downloaded with the firmware itself. Follow the directions below to upgrade the firmware on your Linksys PAP2T-NA.
Upgarde Firmware On Linksys PAP2T-NA:
- Download Latest PAP2T-NA Firmware: First visit the Cisco web site by clicking here to download the latest PAP2T-NA firmware which is currently firmware version 5.1.6. The zip file you download will be named something similar to PAP2T_v5.1.6_fw.zip and will include the firmware, the firmware upgrade executable as well as a text file.
- Launch Firmware Updater: Unpack the contents of the zip file you have downloaded from Cisco and double click on the .exe file which should be named something like upg-pap2t-5-1-6.exe. Once clicked this will open a warning message similar to the below image which you should continue past by clicking the Continue button.
Once you continue past the original warning the PAP2T firmware Upgrade window will look similar to the below image.
- Enter PAP2T IP Address: You will need to know the IP address of the PAP2T device which you can obtain either by ping sweeping your local network and checking the ARP cache or by logging into your router and looking for the PAP2T that way. Once you have located the IP address enter it as shown in the example image below and then click the OK button to continue.
- Confirm PAP2T Upgrade: The next firmware upgrade screen which is shown below will allow you to confirm you want to continue the upgrade process by first connecting to the PAP2T and displaying specific information about the device. Review the information and confirm you want to continue with the PAP2T upgrade.
- PAP2T Firmware Upgrade Process: After clicking the Upgrade button in the above window a couple status windows will display that show the PAP2T device being upgraded. Wait until the below firmware upgrade successful window shows before doing anything else with the PAP2T device.
- Verify PAP2T Firmware Upgraded: Now login to the PAP2T ATA and make sure you see the new firmware version in the top right corner of the web interface.
Your Linksys PAP2T has now been upgraded to the latest firmware version that should fix bugs and provide more features to the analog telephone adapter.