First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
As you may have guessed rooting your Evo voids the warranty. If you have to have your phone serviced for any reason you will need to get back to a stock rom.
There are two ways to do this which I will outline below:
This method does not really unroot your phone but it simply reflashes the nandroid back up we made in part 3 of this tutorial. Doing this is sort of a 50/50 chance whether the folks at sprint will know you rooted the phone. Every thing will look stock however clockwork recovery will still be present and you phone will technical still be rooted.
1. Power off your phone
2. Power on your phone while holding the volume down button
3. Once the bootloader screen comes up, select recovery
4 On the nextscreen select nandroid
5. Select restore and follow the prompts to restore your phone.
The folks over at XDA have shared the stock rom. Get it here
The steps for this are really simple.
1. Download the file to your PC.
2. Connect your phone in sync mode and run the .exe.
3. Follow any prompts and when its finished your phone will be completely stock again.
*Special thatnks to toastcfh for posting the stock rom