First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
NOTE: Please make sure you have completed parts 1,2,3,4 & 5 of this tutorial series before attempting this part.
Okay so now we are at the part we having been doing all this work for, Choosing and installing a rom we like. Choosing a rom is a matter of preference and most of the time its a matter of trial and error to find one you like. This is actually the first android phone I have ever rooted but I have been flashing windows phones for years.
Since the EVO is so new there are not to many roms for it yet but the boys over at XDA have started a wiki which lists all the current roms available. For the sake of this tutorial I will be using the OMJ EVO 2.1 Eclair Rom
1. Download the desired rom to your computer
2. Mount the Evo like a disk drive and copy the rom file to the root of your sdcard
5. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off followed by OK.
3. Press and hold Volume Down while powering on the phone. Continue to hold Volume Down button until the whilte bootloader screen is shown.
4. Select Recovery from the menu to enter recovery mode.
5. The phone should now boot ClockworkMod recovery, and show this menu:
reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
11. First we want to select “wipe data/factory reset”
NOTE: This will wipe all your current data and settings)
12. Next we want to select “wipe cache partition”
13. Once that finishes, scroll down and select “install zip from sdcard”
14. A menu of all the contents of your sdcard will come up, simply scroll down to the zip file which is the rom you want to use and select it by hitting the power button.
15. Once the rom gets finished installing, select “Go Back”
16. On the next menu there will be a option to reboot your phone, go ahead and select reboot
If every thing went well you should now be booted into a custom rom
*Super special thanks to toastcfh for the steps contained in his tutorial and the original EVO root steps.