First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
NOTE: Please make sure you have completed parts 1,2,3 & 4 of this tutorial series before attempting this part.
Ok so now we have a working rooted rom but we are still missing some cool stuff. The first thing being a recovery solution. There are a few out there but after bumbling around and trying pretty much every thing I have decided that Clockwork Recovery is the way to go so thats what we are using in this tutorial.
1. Download the Clockwork Recovery files from here
2. Mount your phone as a disk drive so you can copy files to the SD card.
3. Rename the recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-supersonic.zip file to update.zip\
4. Place the update.zip on the root of your sd card on the EVO.
5. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off followed by OK.
6. Press and hold Volume Down while powering on the phone. Continue to hold Volume Down button until the whilte bootloader screen is shown.
7. Select Recovery from the menu to enter recovery mode.
8. When the red exclamation mark appears, press and hold Volume Up button, and then press Power button.
9. In the menu choose apply sdcard:update.zip option.
10. The phone should now boot ClockworkMod recovery, and show this menu:
reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
11. Select reboot system now
Thats it for the Recovery section, remember at this point we are still running the debuged rom so you will need to continue on to part 5 where I will show you how to load up a custom rom.
*Super special thanks to toastcfh for the steps contained int his tutorial and the original EVO root steps.