First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
NOTE: Please make sure you have completed parts 1 & 2 of this tutorial series before attempting this part.
You will need to download the PCIMG36.zip here
1. Plug in the phone into the PC using the USB connection cable.
2. Mount the phone as a drive
3. Copy the PC36IMG.zip to the root of HTC Evo 4G’s SD card
4. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off followed by OK.
5. Press and hold Volume Down while powering on the phone. Continue to hold Volume Down button until you see the white bootloader screen.
6. The phone will begin to checking for files with a blue progress bar.
7. The phone will find PC36IMG.zip and start to run through a check
8. After a list of files is shown the phone will ask you if you want to flash, at this point you should say yes
9. When the flash is finished,the phone will ask if you want to reboot, you should say yes again
10. At this point the phone will boot into a rooted rom and you technical have root. The rom is only whats known as a debug rom which does not unlock protected apps, overclocking and many other features of the android operating system. There is also not yet a recovery solution installed on the phone so we will need to do a few more hacks to get the EVO working the way we want to.
11. The next thing we need to do for this step is reconnect the phone to the computer via USB cable and enter the disk drive mode.
12. Go to you sd card and rename the PC36IMG.zip and rename it to something like PC36IMG-DEBUG.zip or really any thing you want. This is to prevent the debug rom from running again when we reboot the phone.
13. Next you will need to download this evorecovery.zip file
14. Put you phone back into sync mode and open a command prompt in you adb tools directory. If you followed my instructions it will be located in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
15. Issue the following commands
- adb reboot recovery
16. Once the phone boots into recovery mode unzip the evorecovery.zip file on your desktop
17. Right Click on the recovery.bat file and run it as a administrator
You are now ready to move on to step 4 and create a nandroid backup and unlock nand.
*Super special thanks to toastcfh for the steps contained int his tutorial and the original EVO root steps.