First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
Although the adb shell will work on Linux and Mac this short guide will be focused on getting it going in Windows.
1. First off you will need to grab the Windows version of the Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2. Once you get the file unzip it somewhere on your desktop
3. Take the “android-sdk-windows” folder and move it to the root of your hard drive C:\
4. Right click on My Computer and click properties
5. Select the Advanced Tab
6. Select Environment Variables
7. Select New
8. In the field for variable Name type: adb
9. In the field for variable Value type: C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
10. Run SDK Setup.exe (I was on Windows 7 so I ran it as a administrator to be sure)
11. If it gives you an error go to settings and select ‘force http’
12. Choose all options and let it download and install
13. Go to Settings on your phone
14. Choose Applications
15. Choose Development
16. Check USB Debugging
17. Plug in your phone to the computer with the usb cable and do not mount it
18. Your computer will try to install the android drivers
19. It will not be able to find them so select the option to install from my PC
20. Navigate to the C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder and choose your driver depending on x86 or amd64
21. You should now be ready to interface with your phones android shell.
22. To check navigate to the C:\android-sdk-windows\tools directory and issue a few adb commands.
23. “adb devices” should list your phone
24. “adb shell” should give you a # prompt
Congratulations you are now ready to start rooting your HTC EVO.
*Special thanks to nephron from the XDA developers forums for the excellent post on how to do this.