I had a customers computer in the store today which was a simple windows XP home edition desktop and they wanted to restore the PC to a earlier time. This is normally a simple task however when I went to system restore I recieved the error “System Restore Disabled by Group policy”. Since this was just a normal persons desktop I found this very odd. Next I tried to edit the policy values via the registry and was greeted by another error saying ” Registry Editing has been Disabled by Group policy”. This was starting to get a little annoying so I decided to document my steps to fix this issue. Now before I get a hundred comments with people saying there is a better way remember there is more than one way to do things and this is just my way.
Below I document the few simple steps to fix this error.
1. First thing I did was reboot and enter safe mode and log on as the Administrator.
2. Next I opened a run dialog and typed in regedit
3. This will bring up the Windows Registry Editing tool.
4 Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore
5. Once that is open look in the right hand pane and there should be two values named DisableConfig and DisableSR
6. Right click and delete both of these values
7. If you also want to fix the registry editing error then navigate the the following key next:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System
8. There will be a key named DisableRegistryTools, simply right click and change its value from 1 to 0
9. Reboot and log back in as your user and you should now be able to use both System Restore & Regedit