I recently wrote an article about an issue I had with the Outlook Mobile Service add-in which comes bundled with Microsoft Outlook 2007. The OMS add-in appeared to cause Outlook to crash numerous times on my Windows 7 computer so I not only disabled it but I removed it. In writing the article I needed to reinstall the add-in so I could get some images to place in the article so people could follow the steps to remove the OMS add-in but I was unable to find any articles explaining anything about removing it or reinstalling it. I figured at some point someone will remove the Outlook Mobile Service add-in and later need to reinstall it so the directions below will allow someone with Outlook 2007 to install the Outlook Mobile Service add-in.
Install The Outlook Mobile Service Add-In:
You will need to have Microsoft Outlook 2007 or above to install the Outlook Mobile Service add-in. It is also likely that you have removed this add-in since it comes installed with the installation of MS Outlook 2007.
- Launch Outlook: Open Outlook 2007 as you normally would do to check your email.
- Open Trust Center: Now click on Tools in the top navigation and select Trust Center from the drop down to open the Trust Center configuration window as displayed in the below image.
- Trust Center Add-Ins: Click on Add-Ins in the Trust Center left navigation to display a list of active and inactive Outlook 2007 add-ins as displayed in the below image.
- Launch COM Add-In Management: Now in the bottom of the Trust Center Add-Ins configuration window to the right of Manage make sure that the drop down has COM Add-Ins selected and then click the Go button to launch the COM Add-Ins configuration window as displayed below.
- Install Outlook Mobile Service Add-In: From the COM Add-In configuration window click the Add button to launch a Windows Explorer browser window which will allow you to search for the Outlook add-in. We want to locate the OMSMAIN.DLL file as displayed in the below image.
OMSMAIN.DLL Path: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OMSMAIN.DLL”
The above path represents the OMSMAIN.DLL file when Outlook 2007 is installed on a Windows 7 64-Bit computer but should be exactly the same just replacing “Program Files (x86)” with simply “Program Files”. Once you have navigated to the proper folder double click on OMSMAIN.DLL to install the Mobile Service add-in.
- Restart Outlook: To complete installation you should go ahead and restart Microsoft Outlook and then you can start adding Mobile Service accounts.
While I am guessing that not many people will need to install the Outlook Mobile Service add-in I found it weird that there was no documentation available on the Internet to do so. Right after I reinstalled it to write the article above I removed it again.