I recently developed a web site for a client on a temporary domain which was clientname.mydomain.com. After launching the site and modifying the recipients of the contact forms on the site I happened to get a contact form to my email address. I finally realized that the issue was not with the site I had moved live but someone this person who used the contact form had found the temporary site where I had done the development before pushing the site live. Anyhow the temporary domain’s DNS was hosted on GoDaddy.com so I decided to put in place a forward or redirect so anyone visiting the temporary domain would be redirected to the actual live domain. This redirect needed to be for a sub domain which I initially had to hunt for a bit to locate. Follow the directions below to redirect a sub domain using GoDaddy.com’s DNS services.
Use Go Daddy DNS Services To Redirect A Sub Domain To Another Domain:
- Login To Go Daddy: First visit www.godaddy.com and login which will redirect you to your GoDaddy account page as displayed in the below image.
- Launch GoDaddy Domain Manager: Now in the left navigation click on Domain Forwarding which will display the GoDaddy Domain Manager as shown in the below image.
- Select Domain & Forward Subdomain: Put a check in the check box next to the domain for which you want to forward a sub domain, hover over the Forward button in the top center navigation, and then click the Forward Sub domain button in the top center navigation as shown in the below image.
- Enter Sub Domain Details: Now enter the sub domain details which include the sub domain itself as well as the domain that the subdomain is going to redirect too as shown in the below image.
- Save Details & Verify: After you have entered the details you can click the Preview link in the forward subdomain configuration window to preview the site you are forwarding too. Once you are satisfied with the settings click OK to save the new settings. It can take awhile for the new settings to take effect so it will depend on if this subdomain was previously configured or now.
Your subdomain should now forward to a different domain using the GoDaddy DNS services.