I have been slowly getting everything installed on my new laptop I recently purchased that has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on it. One of the applications I figured would work without issue was the Trillian OTR(Off-The-Record Messaging) plugin which allows encrypted communication over ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Jabber, Rendezvous, and Sametime instant messaging clients. Trillian actually has a built in encryption system called SecureIM however Trillian OTR goes way beyond the security provided the built in encryption provided by SecureIM.
One other thing I changed in the process of switching laptops and operating systems was installing Trillian Astra versus the previous version 3.1 of Trillian on my old Windows XP laptop. I wrote a brief article about installing Trillian OTR on Windows XP which can be read here.
Install Trillian OTR On Windows 7: Encrypted Instant Messaging
- Download Trillian OTR: Click here to download Trillian Off-The-Record Messaging to provide the ability to encrypt instant messages using various message clients via Trillian. The latest version is “v0.5.0 build 160”.
- Unpack Trillian OTR: Now use winrar or similar to unpack the file you downloaded which will be something similar to “Trillian OTR 0.5.0-Dev Build 160.zip”. Unpacking this zip file will produce 3 files including TrillianOTR.dll, “Change Log.txt”, and “Known Bugs.txt”.
- Move Trillian OTR DLL: Copy the TrillianOTR.dll file that was created from unzpping the file in step two into the Trillian plugins folder which is located at the below PATH on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.
- PATH C:\Program Files (x86)\Trillian\plugins
**NOTE** The path will be the same on other Windows 64-Bit operating systems or similar on 32-Bit Windows operating systems. Instead of the PATH including “Program Files (x86)” it would include just “Program Files”.
- Restart Trillian: Restart Trillian for the Off-The-Record DLL file to be loaded. Once it is you will now have an option to enable Trillian OTR in the Plugins section of the Trillian Preferences.
- Encrypt Trillian IM’s: You now have the ability to encrypt instant messages with people via Trillian. The default settings for Trillian OTR will enable private messaging and automatically attempt to initiate private messaging. If the person you are chatting with has encryption then you will see keys being generated and you should attempt to verbally verify those keys with the person receiving the encrypted instant messages before you begin speaking about anything that requires a secure communication.
- Configure Trillian OTR: You can configure Trillian OTR settings by visiting the same Trillian Preferences Plugin window as step four. This time highlight the Trillian OTR plugin and click the Change button that will appear on the right side after it is highlighted to display the below Trillian OTR Windows 7 configuration window.
Now you can talk about all the private things you were previously scared to talk about. Instant messages that are encrypted with the Trillian Off-The-Record Messaging plugin should be very secure.