A friend of mine contacted me today for help resolving an issue with his insightbb.com email address. When anyone was sending an e mail to him they were getting a rejection message similar to the below email. On initial glance I was pretty sure I knew that the issue was the fact that he was not deleting old emails thus causing the “Over Quota” errors.
Insight Broadband Email Bounce Message For Over Quota Users:
- This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:
- Message-id: <<a href="mailto:4DFFDAD5-1B1D-21B4-BBD3-6FA3EBB89E98@gmail.com">4DFFDAD5-1B1D-21B4-BBD3-6FA3EBB89E98@gmail.com</a>>
- Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:50:41 -0500
- From: Bob Brown <<a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>>
- To: John Smith <<a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>>
- Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
- Recipient address: <a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>
- Reason: Over quota
- Reporting-MTA: dns;z-msa3 (ims-ms-daemon) Original-recipient: rfc822;email@example.com Final-recipient: rfc822;firstname.lastname@example.org Action: failed Status: 4.2.2 (Over quota)
- This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. multipart/mixed
- Unable To Send Email To An Insight Broadband Email Subscriber Because Over Quota Error
The main portion of the bounce email that you need to pay attention to is the “Reason” line which in this case states “Over Quota”. When you receive email bounce messages they should receive the details of why the email was bounced back to you and thus leading you to the problem. Again in this case my friends email account was over quota or using more disk space than he is allowed to for this email address. Below I explain how to login to your Insight Broadband email account using the web interface, permanently remove large old emails, and start receiving emails to your InsightBB email address again.
Login To Insight Email Account And Remove Older Large Emails:
- Login To Your Insight BB Email Account:First login to your Insight email account from the screen shown in the below image. You can reach the web interface of your Insight Broadband email account by opening http://mail.insightbb.com in a web browser.
- Verify Insight Quota Used:After logging in you will see the Inbox for your email account as shown in the below image. Look at the Quota information in the top left corner of the screen. Notice in the below InsightBB Inbox example that the Quota is 54%. Before I deleted any emails the Quota was showing 100% use of the 1000MB (roughly 1GB) of disk space provided by Insight for personal email accounts.
- Delete Items In The Trash Folder: The first thing you can do to free up space is to permanently remove items from the Trash folder. A lot of people mistake the fact that just because you delete an email message it does not mean that the message is not counted towards your quota. You must remove the item/items from the Trash folder before it will free up any space.
- Sort Emails & Delete Large Emails:If you are in a hurry, don’t have time to and you need a quick resolution you can visit the Trash folder, click on the Size text twice in the top right corner of this view which will sort emails based on their size. Now verify you can remove all of these emails without losing any important information. Select the emails you want to delete and click the delete button. A delete confirmation window will appear as shown in the below image so just click the OK button to permantently remove the email messages.
- Empty Webmail Trash: The main goal is to empty the Trash folder so you save yourself space. Just make sure that once an email has been moved to the Trash folder you actually go into the Trash folder and permanently delete the message. You want your Trash folder to stay looking like the below example.
- Possible Webmail Options:There is a setting that you can modify that will empty the Trash folder for you automatically when you logout of the Insight webmail interface. Click the Options tab in your Insight webmail interface and then click the Settings tab from within Options to open your webmail Settings as displayed below. Once the Settings are displayed just put a check mark in the “
If you had the same Quota issue as my friend the above information should help resolve others being able to send email to your Insight Broadband email address. The only issue above really is the fact that he was not keeping a close eye on the Quota.