I have been using the Google XML Sitemaps plugin for WordPress for a long time and couldn’t be happier with the results. Not only is the plugin easy to install, easy to configure, but I believe it generates results that would be difficult to achieve without the plugin. I was installing this plugin on a new site this evening and during the process of configuring a Yahoo Application ID I remembered that I had been receiving an error on another site with the Yahoo Application ID so I decided to look into it.
Google XML Sitemaps Yahoo Notification Error:
Google XML Sitemaps Yahoo Notification Error Text: There was a problem while notifying Yahoo.
This error displays in the WordPress admin under the settings for the XML Sitemaps plugin which can be reached by clicking on “XML-Sitemap” underneath Settings section in the WordPress Admin. The reason I had never spent more time looking into this is because when I clicked on the link next to the error Yahoo was stating that the notification was happening successfully. When clicking on the View Result link next to the error I received the below XML response.
Google XML Sitemaps Yahoo Notification Results:
Anyway when configuring this plugin on a new server I realized what the problem most likely was going to be. After creating the Yahoo Application ID or BBAuth ID I realized that when copying and then pasting into the WordPress admin that there was a space on the end of the BBAuth ID. After removing the space at the end of the Yahoo Application ID I posted into the “Your Application ID” field on the XML Sitemap configuration page I manually rebuilt the XML Sitemap and there was no longer an error displayed. The result of all successful notifications is displayed below.
Google XML Sitemap: All Sites Notified Successfully:
Anyway a small annoyance out of the way because of my mistake. This is a great plugin I recommend to anyone worried about SEO on a WordPress site. If you do download and install the plugin you should make a small donation to the developers.