I recently brushed the dust off of my SlingBox so I could set it up and allow my Dad could watch some local Basketball games. One thing that had not been done in a long time was to upgrade the firmware so after I got it working that was the first thing I checked. To my suprise the way to upgrade the firmware has gotten a lot easier than it used to be if I remember correctly. Follow the directions below to upgrade your SlingBox’s firmware using your Internet Explorer browser via SlingBox.com.
Upgrade SlingBox Firmware Via The Internet At SlingBox.com:
- Login To SlingBox.com:First open your Internet Explorer browser and login to www.slingbox.com.
- Open SlingBox Settings:Under the Watch tab in the top navigation click on SlingBox Directory. This will list your SlingBox’s so if you have more than one they will all be listed here. Regardless click on SlingBox Settings underneath the SlingBox you want to configure.
- Locating SlingBox:The browser will attempt to locate the SlingBox on your local network as shown in the below image.
- Verify SlingBox Firmware Update:If a firmware update is available for your SlingBox a Update SlingBox button will appear at the top of the list of buttons on the right side of your browser screen as shown below.
- Begin SlingBox Firmware Update:Click the Update SlingBox button to begin the firmware update process. Click the Next button on the screen shown below that states you need to update the firmware on your SlingBox.
- SlinBox Firmware Update Process:After you click the Next button shown in the image above the firmware update process will begin. First the firmware will be downloaded to your SlingBox followed by the SlingBox erasing the old firmware on the device. Once the old firmware is deleted the new firmware will be installed and last but not least your SlingBox will be restarted. All of these processes are shown in the images below.
- Verify No Firmware Updates:Once you have completed the upgrade process you will be redirected back to the SlingBox Settings page but the Update SlingBox button will no longer exist as shown in the below image.
Now you can start using your SlingBox with the latest firmware. It is good policy to check for firmware updates once a month on any devices you have that connect to the Internet.