The newer versions of Skype, which include version 4 and above, appear to not provide a way to list or delete voicemail messages. There are two options I have come up with to resolve the issue of managing Skype voicemail messages. I would think that Skype will resolve this issue in the near future however it has already taken longer than I would have thought to provide a solution to users to manage voicemail. I am currently running Skype version 220.127.116.11 so the below information is based off of that Skype version which at the time of writing this article is the most current. I recommend using option two which includes a third party piece of software so you still get the benefits of the latest release of Skype.
The first way to resolve the voicemail management issue would be to downgrade Skype to Skype 3.X. Follow the steps below to downgrade Skype.
- Download Previous Skype Version: Visit this link at Skype. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “previous version of Skype” link which is located in the last sentence on the page.
- Install Skype 3.X:Now double click on the executable (SkypeSetup.exe) that has been downloaded to install the previous version of Skype.
This previous Skype version will allow you to play and delete a voicemail message from the contacts message window. So if you had a previous version of Skype and you were satisfied with the voicemail management then downgrading will provide you those same features again. My suggestion would be to keep the improvements of Skype from the latest version and install the third party software below.
Install Maxa Notifier:
Installing this third party software will provide a temporary solution until Skype decides to add voicemail management back into thier software. It was fairly frustrating reading the forums only to see the Skype support staff not even responding to the issue of voicemail and basically only offering the advice of make sure you have the latest software installed.
Maxa Notifier for Skype will allow you to list all of your voicemails in one easy to use interface and while the interface is fairly basic it allows you to get the job done. Use the below instructions to download, install and use Maxa Notifier for Skype.
- Download Maxa Notifier:First download the beta version of Maxa Notifier here.
- Install Maxa Notifier:Now double click on the .exe to install the third party software.
- Launch Maxa Notifier:Launch the Maxa Notifier application to get a feel for the software. The image below provides an idea of the starting interface.
- Manage Skype Voicemail:Now click the “Manage Skype Voicemails” button to launch the Skype voicemail interface as shown below.
This interface will allow you to play Skype voicemail or delete Skype voicemail from one convenient interface. There are some minor bugs so don’t be frustrated if an error pops up when attempting to delete a voicemail just simply close the voicemail management interface and open it again. In the above image the interface is blank because I have deleted all of my voicemails but if there are Skype voicemails they will list in an easy to read format inside this interface.