Recently I decided to split my Twitter feeds into personal and business so it would be easier to read technical tweets separate and distinct from the personal Twitter feeds I wanted to follow. So I decided to keep the first account for my personal account since my friends will already know how to find me and then open a new account for getting technical provider tweet updates and various other technical blogs Twitter feeds. So this left me with a minor issue which was my cell phone was configured already for my personal Twitter account though I needed to use it for my new account. I will be using the new account to get text messages for immediate notification if one of the providers I use is having some sort of outage.
You are only allowed to have a phone number, in this case my cell phone, configured for one Twitter account. So to accomplish my goal of splitting out the technical tweets from the personal tweets I needed to move my cell phone over to the new account. Follow the below instructions to move your mobile phone number from one Twitter account to another Twitter account.
- Login To Original Twitter Account:First login to your original Twitter account where the cell phone number is currently configured.
- Open Devices Settings: Now click Settings in the top right navigation bar and then select the Devices tab which will look like the below image.
- Remove Mobile Phone: To remove the cell phone number from this Twitter account simply click the “Delete and start over” button located at the bottom of the devices page.
- Login To New Twitter Account:Now logout of the first Twitter account and login to the new account you have created.
- Open Devices Settings: Now click Settings in the top right navigation bar and then select the Devices tab.
- Add New Device: Now type in the mobile number but make sure to add a +1 before the area code so if your mobile number is 502-123-1234 you would add +15021231234 into the box and then click save.
- Verify Mobile Number: A message will be displayed on the screen asking for you to text a certain alpha numeric code to Twitter at 40404. Once you do this your cell phone number will now be attached to the new Twitter account.
Check out the below books to learn Twitter tips and tricks.