The HEUR:trojan.win32.generic is a nasty virus that is typically accompanied by a root-kit that can cause you to loose everything on your hard drive. Kaspersky is not capable of removing this virus so instead you need to download and run Avast to get the job done. Follow the directions below to remove this trojan virus and any others that accompany it.
- Download and Install Avast: Visit the Avast web site http://www.avast.com and download the Professional addition that will give you a 60 day trial. Once downloaded run through the installer.
- Disable System Restore: Right click “My Computer” and select properties from the drop down menu. Click on the “System Restore” tab and check the “Turn Off System Restore”. Click the Apply button at the bottom of the configuration window followed by the OK button.
- Reboot Into Safe Mode: Reboot your PC into Safe Mode. If you are running Windows XP click the F8 key after the bios splash screen to enter the boot menu and then select “Safe Mode” from the menu options.
- Scan Local Drives: Scan all of the local drives with Avast and set the files to be deleted. It may display a message that the files will need to be deleted during reboot which is fine. Set Avast to scan on the next boot.
- Scan Again: During reboot Avast will take over and scan the system again. You will be required to select an option for what to do with the files. I recommend deleting the files.
- Boot Computer:Now boot up and run Avast protection to verify that all of the trojans have been removed. If they have not Avast will recommend that another scan be run during the boot process so if that is the case go ahead and follow those directions.
- Turn On System Restore: Once things are back to normal make sure to turn System Restore back on.
Now do a check of your system to make sure there were not any valuable files infected by the HEUR.trojan.win32.generic virus or any of the Root-Kits that were installed.