Earlier today I was purchasing a book called “The Alchemist” on Fictionwise using the Stanza application loaded on my iPod Touch. It was really frustrating because the process has way to many steps, is missing buttons, and does not make it easy to fill out the fields on the checkout forms. It is actually possible to complete the process though.
- Launch Stanza: Launch the Stanza application from your iPod Touch.
- Open Stanza Library: Make sure you are starting out on the Library screen which is the Stanza home screen.
- Open Online Catalog: Click the Online Catalog which will list all the locations where you can download purchased or free ebooks you purchase.
- Search for eBook: Search for the eBook from this screen so you can see if there are multiple copies and you might get away with locating a free ebook download.
- Click eBook: Click on the ebook you want to purchase. It will show you the price on the next page.
- Buy Now: Click the buy now button.
- Create Account or Login: Here is where you will need to create an account if this is your first time using Fictionwise with Stanza. Fill out all of the information and then login.
- Verify Cart and Checkout: Now verify the contents of your cart and click the checkout button.
- Enter Payment Information: Enter your payment information. If you click “Primary Credit Card” then all of your payment information besides your CCV number will be saved for your next purchase. Click the continue button.
- Click Place Your Order: This is where it became a bit confusing for me. There is supposed to be a “Place Your Order” button located underneath the warning about using ereader or stanza. On the iPod Touch it shows up as a button with a ? inside of it. The first time I click this it failed however after refreshing and filling out my information again I was successfully able to complete an order by clicking on the question mark button.
- Click Book Info: Now click the “Book Info” button at the top left of the Touch screen.
- Back to Fictionwise: Click the buttons located in the top left until you get back to the Fictionwise Bookstore starting page.
- Open My Bookshelf: Now scroll to the bottom of the Fictionwise page and click on “My Bookshelf”.
- Login to My Bookshelf: You will be required to login again to your Fictionwise Stanza account.
- Choose Book: Select the book you have just purchased.
- Confirm Credit Card: Now confirm the credit card used to purchase this book. Your name and CC number will be required.
- Download Book: Wait for the book to finish downloading to your iPod Touch.
- Read Book: You can now locate the book in your Stanza client by all of the normal methods like searching by title or author.
Hopefully this process will become easier as time goes on and at the very least the Fictionwise staff will correct the missing button issue.