There are many posts on the Internet stating that the RSS feeds folder cannot be removed however this is not the case. Following the simple steps below you can remove the RSS Feeds folder. When creating the necessary registry key you will need to create the sub directories if they do not exist.
- Download Templates: First download the Administrative Templates from Microsoft by clicking here.
- Install Templates: Now you need to extract the templates to a directory on your PC. I chose to extract to C:\AdminTemplates but the location does not matter. Make sure that you note the path to the templates for later.
- Open the MMC: Now you want to open the Microsoft Management Console by clicking the Windows icon in the bottom left of your Vista PC, typing MMC into the search box, and clicking enter. This will open up the MMC console.
- Open Snap-in Management: Now click File in the menu above and choose Add/Remove Snap-in from the drop down.
- Add Group Policy: Now highlight “Group Policy” in the left window and click the Add button to move it to the right window. Click Finish in the window that pops up.
- Save: Now save the change by clicking OK.
- Add Template: Now in the left window of the Microsoft Management Console expand User Configuration, right click Administrative Templates, and select Add/Remove Templates. Click Add in the window that pops up and navigate to the folder you saved the templates to earlier. If you added the same folder as I had added you will navigate to C:\AdminTemplates\ADM\en-us and choose outlk12.adm. The file should now show so click close to save the file.
- Add Registry Entry: Please backup your registry before making any changes in case you accidently make an incorrect change you can easily restore your registry. Now open regedit by clicking the Windows icon in the bottom left and typing regedit followed by enter. You need to navigate down into the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\RSS. I had to start adding sub keys after the Microsoft key which you can do by right clicking the Microsoft key, select New, and choose key. You will need to name the key properly and then repeat the step for the next sub key until you have created RSS. Now right click RSS, select New, and select DWORD(32-Bit) Value. Name it disable and create a value of 1.
- Create Data File: Now create a new data file for Outlook 2007 by opening the Control Panel, Selecting Mail, and then clicking the Data Files button. Once you have done this you can click the Add button and follow the instructions.
After you have added the new file set it to the default file and add a mail account. You will no longer have the RSS Feeds folder showing in Outlook 2007.