After removing a Microsoft Outlook Exchange account from my Outlook configuration I was stuck with an address book configured that no longer existed. When I would click the Address Book in MS Outlook I would receive the below error.
Error: The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book see Microsoft Office Outlook Help.
One good thing about Microsoft is a wealth of troubleshooting information on the web. I was fairly easily able to locate this article that explains how to remove the Address Book in just a couple steps. Below is a recap of the steps used to remove the Address Book.
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing directories or address books, and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Address Book, and then click Change.
- Select the Contacts folder that you want to remove, and then click Remove Address Book.
- Exit and restart Outlook.