Posts Tagged “production”

Earlier I switched one of the Litespeed web server virtual hosts from production mode to staging mode and after gracefully restarting rails was receiving a 503 Service Unavailable error. Initially I thought that maybe Litespeed had to be restarted completely instead of just a graceful restart but that produced the same results. Below I describe the errors including errors in the Litespeed logs as well as how to resolve the issue which ended up being a silly mistake on my part.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

The below error is another error related to upgrading Redmine. I imagine part of the reason I had a lot of errors is because I hadn’t upgraded this installation of Redmine, which we really just use for development, for a long time. In fact the upgrade took this installation of Redmine from 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.9.3. After I completed all of the steps in the Redmine upgrade I attempted to bring up the Redmine site in my Chrome browser but I received a 500 error from the LiteSpeed web server. The resolution was easy and is displayed below along with more details regarding the error.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

I ran into an issue earlier where adding a sub project to an already existing Redmine project produced an error and after a little bit of troubleshooting determined that upgrading Redmine would resolve the issue. During the upgrade process I ran into some other issues including a specific migration error using rake that is noted below. The upgrade process involved upgrading Redmine 0.8.3 to Redmine 0.9.3.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments 2 Comments »

The other day I did some optimization work on a PostgreSQL database and at the end needed to create migrations so the changes I was going to make could be deployed on multiple servers. It was my first shot at migrations so I wanted to note for myself and anyone else that may find it useful how to create Ruby migrations for dropping and adding Indexes on PostgreSQL tables. Below you will find the basic concept for creating a migration that adds a Postgres table index and information on removing a table index which is just the reverse of adding.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

A friend of mine was over tonight and we were troubleshooting a issue with SVN authentication via the Redmine project management software. Redmine is built with Ruby and on this server is running via Apache and Mongrel. I needed to set the project to run in development mode but wasn’t very familiar with the Mongrel setup. After some research I found it was easy to change the environment from production to development using the Mongrel Cluster .yml file for that project. When using Mongrel each site appears to get its own .yml file so you can modify whatever settings you want to on a per site basis. Below I describe what needs to be changed, default locations, and any other actions that need to be taken to restart the Ruby on Rails project in development mode.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »